Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Project Talk: Toasty Toes

Over the summer, husband and I replaced the carpet in our living/dining room area with wood laminate flooring. It really changed the whole look of the room (for the better). But about a week ago, I discovered an unforeseen consequence of removing carpet. 


Finished product!
Cold floors. Fall weather has arrived in Wisconsin, bringing chilly temperatures. Couple that with my determination not to turn on the heat in this house until November 1 (though the last two days, my resolve has been wavering a bit), and you have a need for slippers. 


Last fall, I bought a pair of suede soles for slippers, purchased a pattern, and then failed to ever get around to making the slippers. However, last Wednesday morning, I came down to make coffee, and the need for slippers became apparent. I combated my cold feet the way that is obvious only to knitters, I cast on for the slippers.


Thankfully, it didn't take too terribly long to get the slippers off of the needles. There are meant to be felted so in this first picture, they are very big and floppy. 


Big and floppy, not unlike clown shoes!
The slippers are knit out of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Cherry Blossom, with two strand held together. The cuffs are made from two different scrap wools that I had lying around the house (one leftover from the Carry All Tote and the other from Husband's Hunting Socks), a strand of each held together. 


The pattern itself is Felted Clogs from Fibertrends. It is a basic pattern with lots of options for customization and for different sizes, making it well worth the $8.00 price tag (which barely counts in this case since I bought the pattern last winter).


No more clown shoes!
After felting in hot water and agitation, I shaped the slippers on my feet and then stuffed them with plastic bags to hold the shape while they dried. 


Now, here's something you might not know, felted slippers take forever to dry. I felted them Sunday afternoon, and on Tuesday night they were finally dry enough for the next step, attaching the soles.


I sewed on the soles with the project yarn, but it wasn't as easy as I first anticipated. It involved a lot of stretching and squishing to make the sole and slipper the same size. I still think they might be cuter without the soles.

However, function sometimes does actually trump cuteness, even in my world, and the soles are needed to both extend wear of the slippers and to keep me from slipping and injuring myself (felted slippers are slippery otherwise).


After getting the sole on the first one, things went a little more smoothly with the second one. In addition to the suede sole, which has padding the slippers have a double sole of garter stitch. This makes for a super squishy, comfortable base. The material felted into a nice, thick fabric, which also is proving to be toasty warm. This morning, my feet stayed nice and warm while making coffee and letting the dog out. 



No comments: